Every third spoonful of food is dependent on pollinators. That's why it's important to honor them.
Here are some Bee Facts:
- One bee produces 1/12 teaspoon of honey in it's lifetime
- 40% of invertebrate pollinators, primarily bees and butterflies, are facing extinction
- Bees pollinate as many as 170,000 plant species
- The majority of pollinators are wild, including over 20,000 species of bees
- 87 of the leading food crops worldwide are dependent on pollinators
- Pollinators affect 35% of global agricultural land
- In the last 50 years agricultural production that's dependent on pollinators increased by 300%
A New Type of Hive
Here in Iowa the winter took it's toll on honey bees. Some beekeepers lost 90% of their bees.
We're using Apimaye Hives. These bee friendly, Langstroth style hives are insulated and have a great winter feeding system. The top feeders are easily opened without disturbing the bees or causing heat loss to the hive. Because the Apimaye hive is so well insulated the bees are building brood faster than in past years.
You Can Make a Difference
Make every day World Bee Day by protecting pollinators, use bee friendly products and supporting local honey producers.